Another year....roots

Another year….

Every year, I sit at my computer and take the time to reflect on the last year of your life, and of our life, together.  I do this, because I don’t want to forget the details and the milestones.  I don’t want to forget your voice, your laugh, your smell, your hugs and kisses, and who you are now.  Someday, I’d like you to understand the details, or have insight into my mind and what exactly, you, have meant to me, your mother.

Eight.  I’m not quite sure how we even landed here so fast.  In 10 years, you will be an adult.  You are ½ way to driving.  I’m continuously floored with these facts.  I try not to count, but I just can’t help myself at times.

We have now been in Colorado for ½ of your life.  This has become your home, your comfort, what you know.  It’s where your family resides, and your Nanny & Grandad reside and spoil you.  You love your home, family, puppy Leeloo, your school and friends, and the routine of living in Colorado.  Yet, you are wise already to the wonders of what’s outside home.  You have been very quick to adapt to, and long to, travel with your Mom.  You want to visit your cousins in Cottonwood, your friends in Arizona, your family outside of Colorado.  You are always up for an adventure, as long as you are with me.  This makes my heart sing with happiness and need.  I feel as though I need to show you this world, as much as you long to see and experience it.  I so badly want to make sure that you know and understand there are so many adventures that await you in this lifetime, and they may not be here…at home.  The older you get, the more the below becomes more and more real for me.  I’m working on your roots baby, and before long, you will have your wings.  Just promise me, they will bring you back to me often.




Independence has been something we are working hard on this last year and continuing.  You are loved, adored and frankly spoiled.  You don’t want for much, and how blessed are you for that.  We have started with your own set of responsibilities, like doing your own laundry, packing your own lunch, making your own breakfast, clearing the table and taking care of Leeloo.  It’s a work in progress, but you are capable and ready.   Ahhh…all this growing up stuff.  You continue to love all of the artistic things I never was very good at.  You are in dance again this year, and you absolutely love it, and you practice dancing everywhere you go.  You sing everywhere you can, in the bath, in the car, in the house, on the trampoline, at the dinner table, to the dog, to your Nanny…whoever will listen.  You have also started art lessons with Grandpa Hutch.  Your first painting was this amazing rooster that blew us all away.  Who knew, that talent skips a generation!!  You love it, you are doing what you love and that makes me happy!

We have a year of “8” to look forward to.  This was your “golden” birthday and I’d like this to be a golden year for you.  Your school year has been amazing with Mrs. Ramirez, and you are knocking 2nd grade out of the park.  Your reading abilities have taken off, even more than I could have ever dreamed of!  You are a Harry Potter fan (we have made it through 4 books, and now are taking a break), Fablehaven is on the list, and we read Wonder together, yet you finished it on your own.  What a wonderful book, and an even better experience to read it with you and watch your own “wonder” in a truly magical book.  Some of your favorites are Dog Man, Bad Kitty, anything magical and you love comic type books.  This year you discovered audo books in the car and took to those as well.  What an awesome experience to listen to someone else tell “us” the story!


I’m looking forward to spending these next years traveling with you, showing you everything I can, loving you fiercely and watching you mature into the amazing young man you will be.  You are my daily motivation, my reason for being a mother and the best I can be.  Oh, my son, I can’t wait to see what this year brings.  Let’s do this!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ready to crawl...

Mama....Mom